Setting up Forms on an IPAD in Kiosk Mode
Setting up forms for use on an IPAD on location is referred to as using kiosk mode. In Kiosk mode the end user can only access your forms (and/or workflows) and has no access to the rest of your IPAD. IPAD's have a built in option called "Guided Access" which will lock down the IPAD to a single app, and disable the home button. This guide walks through how to use the inexpensive ($2.29) ICAB Mobile app, to display only your selected form or workflow, minus all the browser's URL bar, back buttons etc, in conjunction with Guided Access mode to restrict access to the Home Button.
Setting up Kiosk Mode with ICAB Mobile
To get started, download the ICAB Mobile app to your IPAD:
- Open the ICAB Mobile app and open settings (cog icon top right)
- Click Account
- Enable Kiosk Mode and click the Configure button
- Click Account and enter a Password to Leave Kiosk
- Note the gesture to leave kiosk mode. This is important as this is how you get out of kiosk mode
- Under User Interface you can configure which parts of the browser will be shown or hidden
- Under Kiosk Content > Enter the url of your form for the homepage
- Once configured, exit settings (click back and then done in the top left corner)
- Back in the browsing mode click the user icon (top right) and then select the newly created Kiosk account
ICAB is now in Kiosk Mode!
To leave kiosk mode, perform the gesture you configured earlier and enter the password you configured to leave kiosk mode.
Locking the Home Button using Guided Access
Next, in order to disable the IPAD's home button (and prevent users from switching to other apps) we need to enable Guided Access Mode
- Select: Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access > On
- Set a passcode (tip: avoid choosing a combination like 1-2-3-4-5-6). A six-digit code that will be memorable, but not easily guessed works best.
- Next, press the home button to return to the home screen. Open up the ICAB Mobile app and once loaded, triple click the home button so that the Guided Access screen appears. Press Start.
- Guided Access mode will begin, and your device will be locked down into one app.
To end Guided Access and regain full use of the iPad, triple click the home button again, enter your chosen passcode and select End (top left corner).