Geolocation is the mapping of an IP address to a real location. Every time a form is submitted, Logiforms automatically detects the user's country, state, city and partial zip code information. This information is automatically recorded with each form submission. You only need to access it.
Access Geographic Data
You access this data in the Database Browser / Submission Bin.
- Click the arrow icon in any column header, then expand the Columns list.
- Check the boxes with the GEO prefix to enable them. The fields become visible.
By default, the end user's IP address is used to look up their location and return the information that you see. In this case the Geo from Location field shows "IP Lookup" indicating that the location was determined by looking up the user's IP address. The IP address lookup option is 99.99% accurate based on a database of IPv4 addresses around the world. However, longitude and latitude are generally not very accurate using an IP address lookup. And some service providers report an accuracy from 50-80% using IP address lookups to determine the city.
Populate Standard Address Fields
As long as your fields contain any of the following words in the Field Name, and the Defaultvalue is set to auto, the field will be pre-populated with the geolocation data.
- In Form Designer, from the Insert Element menu choose Common Fields.
- Depending on your business requirements, insert one or more of these fields: Country, Canadian Provinces, City, Provinces & States, US States, Zip/Postal Code fields OR ensure that your form uses fields with these names.
In the Field Properties panel, in Field General Setting, ensure that the Defaultvalue field is set to auto.
Prompt the User
To get a more accurate location, you can configure your form to prompt the user to allow their location to be shared. If they agree, the corresponding data will be used instead of the IP address lookup. If the user declines to share their location information, Logiforms use the IP address lookup method as the default. Users have the option to share their location always, never, or not now.
[screencapture: need the new prompt which gives the user the option to share location, always, never, or not now]
- In the Form Outline Panel, click the Form Name.
- Below the Outline, in the Form Properties Panel, expand the Form General Settings panel.
- Scroll to Geo Location Prompt and set the property to true. Your users will be asked to share their location.